- That's not nice April 24
Friends of George Clooney, take note: Your pal has your back.
In Las Vegas earlier this month, Clooney defended President Obama after casino mogul Steve Wynn called him an "asshole." During a dinner at the swanky Botero restaurant inside of Wynn's Encore hotel, reports Las Vegas Review-Journal columnist Norm Clarke, the topic of conversation turned to the Affordable Care Act. That's when Wynn called Obama the A-word.
"There were nine people at that table... so you can ask them.... Steve likes to go on rants.... He called the president an asshole.... That is a fact," Clooney said in a statement released to The Hollywood Reporter by his publicist. "I said that the president was my longtime friend and then he said 'your friend is an asshole'.... At that point, I told Steve that he was an asshole and that I wasn't going to sit as his table while he was being a jackass, and I walked out.... Those are all the facts. It had nothing to do with politics and everything to do with character."
"He sat down and started talking about the Affordable Care Act, and that's when I spoke up," Wynn continued. "He didn't like that either. I think my discussion about the Affordable Care Act was the straw that broke the camel's back. When he's drinking, he considers himself a close personal buddy of the president."- - Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Ban PowerPoint!
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
Subscribe to the Week