- Colbert Nationalism April 24
This is what we are learning about Stephen Colbert's departure from The Colbert Report, the show he has hosted for nine years: It will be a long farewell, and the character Stephen Colbert is already being written out of the script for the real Colbert's next act, hosting CBS Late Night.
On Wednesday night's Daily Show — the vehicle that shot Colbert to fame — character Stephen came to announce to Jon Stewart that he is ending his show, because he's already "won television" and now he's "just running up the score." Everybody has trouble keeping a straight face as Colbert talks about the "fat guy" who beat him out for the Letterman gig and his plans to ride the rails with a pet mouse and one-eyed prostitute. Colbert even brought his own Daily Show highlight reel. Watch below. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
- Why Japan is turning to high-tech floating islands to solve its energy needs
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
Subscribe to the Week