- Colbert Nationalism April 24
This is what we are learning about Stephen Colbert's departure from The Colbert Report, the show he has hosted for nine years: It will be a long farewell, and the character Stephen Colbert is already being written out of the script for the real Colbert's next act, hosting CBS Late Night.
On Wednesday night's Daily Show — the vehicle that shot Colbert to fame — character Stephen came to announce to Jon Stewart that he is ending his show, because he's already "won television" and now he's "just running up the score." Everybody has trouble keeping a straight face as Colbert talks about the "fat guy" who beat him out for the Letterman gig and his plans to ride the rails with a pet mouse and one-eyed prostitute. Colbert even brought his own Daily Show highlight reel. Watch below. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- 5 quick things you can do today to boost your creativity
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- Yes, the Obama administration's green loans are unprofitable. They should be.
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Why we gossip, according to science
- 13 vegetarian dishes for Thanksgiving
Subscribe to the Week