- meet cute April 24
President Barack Obama met a robot today in Japan and left confused and perhaps a bit intimidated. While visiting Japan's National Museum of Emerging Science and Innovation, the president played soccer with a humanoid robot named Asimo.
At first, the president was cautious around the gizmo, and he even exchanged bows with it, but eventually he warmed up to him. "It's nice to meet you," the robot said, before approaching him with a soccer ball. "Okay, come on," the president replied. The robot lightly kicked the ball at the perplexed president. "I have to say that the robots were a little scary, they were too lifelike," the president told the Washington Post. "They were amazing." --Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 5 legitimate scientific controversies
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- Why I got married — without a wedding
- 10 things you need to know today: October 2, 2014
- How to improve your workplace culture
- Why the Rubio-Lee tax plan is great politics — and great policy
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
Subscribe to the Week