- New look April 24
Ronald McDonald has replaced his passé overalls with a chic vest and pants combo, showing that just because you're a clown, you don't have to look like one.
The Associated Press reports that it's all part of a new campaign by McDonald's to boost weak sales. Ronald left the spotlight a few years ago, keeping a low profile due to criticism from activists who argued he was peddling unhealthy food to children. Now he's back with a new look and an appreciation of social media: Ronald is going to become active on Twitter, using the hashtag #ronaldmcdonald to share photos and videos (according to the AP, Ronald will not have his own handle, at least not yet).
"Selfies… here I come!" the character said in a statement. "It's a big world and now, wherever I go and whatever I do… I'm ready to show how fun can make great things happen."
The world's most famous clown mascot may be wearing new digs, but one thing that hasn't changed is his taste in footwear. "His iconic big red shoes will remain the same," McDonald's said in a statement. Watch a video of Ronald's transformation below. --Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
Subscribe to the Week