- New look April 24
Ronald McDonald has replaced his passé overalls with a chic vest and pants combo, showing that just because you're a clown, you don't have to look like one.
The Associated Press reports that it's all part of a new campaign by McDonald's to boost weak sales. Ronald left the spotlight a few years ago, keeping a low profile due to criticism from activists who argued he was peddling unhealthy food to children. Now he's back with a new look and an appreciation of social media: Ronald is going to become active on Twitter, using the hashtag #ronaldmcdonald to share photos and videos (according to the AP, Ronald will not have his own handle, at least not yet).
"Selfies… here I come!" the character said in a statement. "It's a big world and now, wherever I go and whatever I do… I'm ready to show how fun can make great things happen."
The world's most famous clown mascot may be wearing new digs, but one thing that hasn't changed is his taste in footwear. "His iconic big red shoes will remain the same," McDonald's said in a statement. Watch a video of Ronald's transformation below. --Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: August 29, 2014
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
Subscribe to the Week