- heartbreaking April 25
In a moment that underscores the human effect of our country's recent economic troubles, a young girl stunned Michelle Obama on Thursday at the annual "Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day" event.
The First Lady was hosting a question-and-answer session for the children of White House employees when she called on 10-year-old Charlotte Bell. Bell stood up and approached the stage, and after Obama handed her a microphone, she said, "My dad's been out of a job for three years and I wanted to give you his résumé."
While she was speaking, Bell did in fact hand Obama a piece of paper. The First Lady seemed to accept it before realizing what it was — a moment after Bell finished her sentence, Obama's eyes widened and she pulled the girl in for a hug and a few private words.
After returning to her seat, Obama explained to the crowd that Bell was "doing something for her dad." Then she turned to Bell, résumé in hand, and affirmed: "Got it."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- The slippery slope of Twitter's attempts to stop harassment against women
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week