- heartbreaking April 25
In a moment that underscores the human effect of our country's recent economic troubles, a young girl stunned Michelle Obama on Thursday at the annual "Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day" event.
The First Lady was hosting a question-and-answer session for the children of White House employees when she called on 10-year-old Charlotte Bell. Bell stood up and approached the stage, and after Obama handed her a microphone, she said, "My dad's been out of a job for three years and I wanted to give you his résumé."
While she was speaking, Bell did in fact hand Obama a piece of paper. The First Lady seemed to accept it before realizing what it was — a moment after Bell finished her sentence, Obama's eyes widened and she pulled the girl in for a hug and a few private words.
After returning to her seat, Obama explained to the crowd that Bell was "doing something for her dad." Then she turned to Bell, résumé in hand, and affirmed: "Got it."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- Fall film guide: All the movies you should see in October
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- You're reheating pizza wrong
Subscribe to the Week