- heartbreaking April 25
In a moment that underscores the human effect of our country's recent economic troubles, a young girl stunned Michelle Obama on Thursday at the annual "Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day" event.
The First Lady was hosting a question-and-answer session for the children of White House employees when she called on 10-year-old Charlotte Bell. Bell stood up and approached the stage, and after Obama handed her a microphone, she said, "My dad's been out of a job for three years and I wanted to give you his résumé."
While she was speaking, Bell did in fact hand Obama a piece of paper. The First Lady seemed to accept it before realizing what it was — a moment after Bell finished her sentence, Obama's eyes widened and she pulled the girl in for a hug and a few private words.
After returning to her seat, Obama explained to the crowd that Bell was "doing something for her dad." Then she turned to Bell, résumé in hand, and affirmed: "Got it."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- The next pandemic
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
Subscribe to the Week