- heartbreaking April 25
In a moment that underscores the human effect of our country's recent economic troubles, a young girl stunned Michelle Obama on Thursday at the annual "Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day" event.
The First Lady was hosting a question-and-answer session for the children of White House employees when she called on 10-year-old Charlotte Bell. Bell stood up and approached the stage, and after Obama handed her a microphone, she said, "My dad's been out of a job for three years and I wanted to give you his résumé."
While she was speaking, Bell did in fact hand Obama a piece of paper. The First Lady seemed to accept it before realizing what it was — a moment after Bell finished her sentence, Obama's eyes widened and she pulled the girl in for a hug and a few private words.
After returning to her seat, Obama explained to the crowd that Bell was "doing something for her dad." Then she turned to Bell, résumé in hand, and affirmed: "Got it."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- Do you need to be crazy to be the best?
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
Subscribe to the Week