- Do something good today April 25
On Friday, April 18, a wall of snow and ice crushed 16 Sherpas who were preparing a path on Mt. Everest for their clients. Thirteen of the bodies were recovered, but three remain entombed in the ice. The avalanche caused Everest's largest loss of life in a single day.
For these elite climbers, who guide people up the world's highest mountain, death has been an occupational hazard since the first ascent of Everest in 1922. But this month's tragedy sent a shockwave through the peaceful community. Sherpas, who make from $3,000 to $6,000 each three-month season, are threatening to strike unless they receive better compensation and improved safety conditions.
In the meantime, a group of 10 photographers who have worked extensively with the Sherpa people have banded together to help their friends. The photographers of The Sherpa Fund are selling prints of the mountain and its people, and 100 percent of the proceeds will go to the Sherpa community.
By purchasing a print today, you are helping provide relief to Sherpa families in crisis, as well as long-term support that transcends this single incident. Together, we will build a more comprehensive safety net for the high-altitude workers who help so many Westerners realize their dreams of the summit. [The Sherpa Fund]
This diverse selection of photos, chosen by National Geographic editors, is a gorgeous and productive tribute to the people who have been so dedicated to this natural wonder. To buy a print or learn more about the Sherpa Fund, click on this link or the image below. --Lauren Hansen
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Hey, Paul Ryan's new poverty plan isn't completely terrible!
- Deficit scolds are the most crazed ideologues in America
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- The disturbing lessons of Arizona's un-American execution
- 7 language habits that reveal your age
Subscribe to the Week