- how rude April 28
Taking a cue from Up, a family in Santa Clara, California, decided to paint their Victorian in the same bright colors as the home in the hit Pixar movie, transforming their new old house with each can of pink, green, and yellow paint. Unfortunately, their neighbors don't have the same appreciation for the vivid hues they selected, and are up in arms.
"I don't think it fits in with the neighborhood," Lou Faria, a member of the Old Quad Residents Association, tells NBC Bay Area. "It really, in my opinion, is atrocious that this Victorian is a gracious old lady and it's being painted up to look like a clown."
The house is one of several Victorians on Harrison Street, near Santa Clara University. Hosam Haggog and Fatima Rahman have spent the past two years renovating their home, and they chose the colors as an homage to the movie that their daughters, ages 3 and 1, love so much.
"We're not trying to create controversy," Rahman told NBC Bay Area. "We're trying to build a home for our daughters and our family, and that's what our intention was."
Here's a fun fact: Victorians were painted in loud colors back in the day to allow their architectural details to stand out. In fact, not too far from Santa Clara, in San Francisco, there are still Victorian "Painted Ladies" that add to the vibrancy of the city. It sounds like this family might soon have the most historically accurate house on the block. Your move, Lou. --Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- Yes, the Obama administration's green loans are unprofitable. They should be.
- House hunting: 7 stunning castles in Europe
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
Subscribe to the Week