- Watch this April 28
Consider this part of the Portlandia backlash? On John Oliver's inaugural episode of his HBO show Last Week Tonight, Oliver and delightful 1990s one-hit wonder Lisa Loeb tore into Oregon over its disastrous website's failure to enroll Oregonians in insurance plans as part of ObamaCare. As Oliver and Loeb note repeatedly, this was a big embarrassment for Oregon, and an expensive one. Although it may be a bit harsh for Loeb to call residents of the Beaver State "stupid Oregon idiots," I guess Oregon has made its bed and now it has to lie in it (or at least put a bird on it). Still, I'd have thought a Dallas native like Loeb would be a little more understanding about caricaturing an entire population based on a TV show. [Warning: Oliver drops one F-bomb — as is his right on HBO.] --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- This week I learned the surprisingly dark origins of the Nobel Prize, and more
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- How did Rick Perry escape blame for the Texas Ebola outbreak?
Subscribe to the Week