- Watch this April 28
Consider this part of the Portlandia backlash? On John Oliver's inaugural episode of his HBO show Last Week Tonight, Oliver and delightful 1990s one-hit wonder Lisa Loeb tore into Oregon over its disastrous website's failure to enroll Oregonians in insurance plans as part of ObamaCare. As Oliver and Loeb note repeatedly, this was a big embarrassment for Oregon, and an expensive one. Although it may be a bit harsh for Loeb to call residents of the Beaver State "stupid Oregon idiots," I guess Oregon has made its bed and now it has to lie in it (or at least put a bird on it). Still, I'd have thought a Dallas native like Loeb would be a little more understanding about caricaturing an entire population based on a TV show. [Warning: Oliver drops one F-bomb — as is his right on HBO.] --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: July 25, 2014
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
Subscribe to the Week