- Watch this April 28
Barcelona defender Dani Alves conducted a master class this weekend in dealing with racist soccer fans. During yesterday's game against Villarreal, a jerk spouted a racist remark and threw a banana at the Brazilian-born Alves, who has suffered monkey chants from abusive fans in the past. Alvez responded by coolly picking up the banana and eating it.
After the match, Alves said the best way to negate racism is to use humor. "We have suffered this in Spain for some time," Alves said, per the Associated Press. "You have to take it with a dose of humor. We aren't going to change things easily." --Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: July 30, 2014
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- How the battle for religious freedom became a nonsensical free-for-all
- Stop calling the GOP the party of new ideas
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Pay yourself first: The habit that can help you build wealth
Subscribe to the Week