- Watch this April 28
Barcelona defender Dani Alves conducted a master class this weekend in dealing with racist soccer fans. During yesterday's game against Villarreal, a jerk spouted a racist remark and threw a banana at the Brazilian-born Alves, who has suffered monkey chants from abusive fans in the past. Alvez responded by coolly picking up the banana and eating it.
After the match, Alves said the best way to negate racism is to use humor. "We have suffered this in Spain for some time," Alves said, per the Associated Press. "You have to take it with a dose of humor. We aren't going to change things easily." --Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Grammar quiz: Do you know the passive voice?
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why charity can't solve society's deepest problems
- Hey, Paul Ryan's new poverty plan isn't completely terrible!
Subscribe to the Week