- Watch this April 28
Barcelona defender Dani Alves conducted a master class this weekend in dealing with racist soccer fans. During yesterday's game against Villarreal, a jerk spouted a racist remark and threw a banana at the Brazilian-born Alves, who has suffered monkey chants from abusive fans in the past. Alvez responded by coolly picking up the banana and eating it.
After the match, Alves said the best way to negate racism is to use humor. "We have suffered this in Spain for some time," Alves said, per the Associated Press. "You have to take it with a dose of humor. We aren't going to change things easily." --Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: September 17, 2014
- 11 weeknight dinners you can make without a recipe
Subscribe to the Week