- Watch this April 28
Barcelona defender Dani Alves conducted a master class this weekend in dealing with racist soccer fans. During yesterday's game against Villarreal, a jerk spouted a racist remark and threw a banana at the Brazilian-born Alves, who has suffered monkey chants from abusive fans in the past. Alvez responded by coolly picking up the banana and eating it.
After the match, Alves said the best way to negate racism is to use humor. "We have suffered this in Spain for some time," Alves said, per the Associated Press. "You have to take it with a dose of humor. We aren't going to change things easily." --Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- 8 tricks to surviving the holidays without gaining weight or being grouchy
Subscribe to the Week