- Play La Marseillaise April 28
Today, Aaron Carroll over at The Incidental Economist takes a look at France's healthcare system, widely regarded as the best in the world:
One thing that he emphasizes that I don't think people tend to fully grasp is how, when it comes to the United States, we pay dramatically more than almost every other nation and have almost nothing to show for it. France has an incredibly luxurious system, one that will pay for just about any kind of treatment you can dream up, and correspondingly shells out quite a bit for it. In America, by contrast, we pay half again as much per person, but the system is incredibly stingy compared to France.
We might just have something to learn here.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 7 tips for keeping your man (from the 1950s)
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
Subscribe to the Week