- Watch this April 28
The first episode of John Oliver's new show has been posted on YouTube, and it's quite an ambitious effort. He mocks the total lack of U.S. coverage of the upcoming Indian elections (5:38), which will be the largest vote in human history, while actually doing a reasonable job of explaining the basic political outlines of the country. He looks closely at an obscure Supreme Court case about food labeling (15:30) pitting Coca-Cola against a pomegranate juice manufacturer. And finally, he interviews former head of the NSA Keith Alexander in classic Oliver style (24:23).
All in all, quite an encouraging first effort. Check it out here.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- Blame Obama and U.S. evangelicals for the persecution of Iraqi Christians
- Face it, ladies: We can't all be beautiful
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
- A gay Mormon's complicated journey
- Are there too many good shows on television?
Subscribe to the Week