- A new cat in town April 28
Violent riots, fist fights in the street, endless lines — that's what happened the last time McDonald's stores in Singapore promoted the limited edition Hello Kitty "Fairy Tales" doll.
So this year, when McDonald's announced it was unveiling the newest character in the collection, Hello Kitty "Bubbly world," the city-state braced for the worst. McDonald's even hired security guards and extra staff to prevent outbreaks and to manage the tens of thousands of eager fans who were expected to show up.
But when stores opened this morning, customers and store staff were shocked to find the queues mostly empty. They can thank online ordering for an end to the cattiness.- - Kaitlin Roberts
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- Why 2014 may be as good as it gets for the Republican Party
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why America needs more billionaires
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
Subscribe to the Week