- A new cat in town April 28
Violent riots, fist fights in the street, endless lines — that's what happened the last time McDonald's stores in Singapore promoted the limited edition Hello Kitty "Fairy Tales" doll.
So this year, when McDonald's announced it was unveiling the newest character in the collection, Hello Kitty "Bubbly world," the city-state braced for the worst. McDonald's even hired security guards and extra staff to prevent outbreaks and to manage the tens of thousands of eager fans who were expected to show up.
But when stores opened this morning, customers and store staff were shocked to find the queues mostly empty. They can thank online ordering for an end to the cattiness.- - Kaitlin Roberts
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What Keeping Up with the Kardashians can teach America about interracial marriage
- The real-life events that inspired Game of Thrones' Red Wedding
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
- The single best way to help your kid succeed at school
Subscribe to the Week