- A new cat in town April 28
Violent riots, fist fights in the street, endless lines — that's what happened the last time McDonald's stores in Singapore promoted the limited edition Hello Kitty "Fairy Tales" doll.
So this year, when McDonald's announced it was unveiling the newest character in the collection, Hello Kitty "Bubbly world," the city-state braced for the worst. McDonald's even hired security guards and extra staff to prevent outbreaks and to manage the tens of thousands of eager fans who were expected to show up.
But when stores opened this morning, customers and store staff were shocked to find the queues mostly empty. They can thank online ordering for an end to the cattiness.- - Kaitlin Roberts
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
Subscribe to the Week