- A new cat in town April 28
Violent riots, fist fights in the street, endless lines — that's what happened the last time McDonald's stores in Singapore promoted the limited edition Hello Kitty "Fairy Tales" doll.
So this year, when McDonald's announced it was unveiling the newest character in the collection, Hello Kitty "Bubbly world," the city-state braced for the worst. McDonald's even hired security guards and extra staff to prevent outbreaks and to manage the tens of thousands of eager fans who were expected to show up.
But when stores opened this morning, customers and store staff were shocked to find the queues mostly empty. They can thank online ordering for an end to the cattiness.- - Kaitlin Roberts
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Pope Francis' American problem
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
- 10 things you need to know today: December 20, 2014
Subscribe to the Week