- A new cat in town April 28
Violent riots, fist fights in the street, endless lines — that's what happened the last time McDonald's stores in Singapore promoted the limited edition Hello Kitty "Fairy Tales" doll.
So this year, when McDonald's announced it was unveiling the newest character in the collection, Hello Kitty "Bubbly world," the city-state braced for the worst. McDonald's even hired security guards and extra staff to prevent outbreaks and to manage the tens of thousands of eager fans who were expected to show up.
But when stores opened this morning, customers and store staff were shocked to find the queues mostly empty. They can thank online ordering for an end to the cattiness.- - Kaitlin Roberts
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Why insects are the future of food
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
Subscribe to the Week