- happening now April 29
At least six people were injured this morning during a shooting at a FedEx facility outside of Atlanta, local media reports. Authorities said a male suspect, who remains on the loose, arrived at the warehouse around 6 a.m. and began shooting people. One person is in critical condition and five others were taken to a nearby hospital. Their names were not immediately released.
WXIA-TV reports that the facility is on lockdown and employees are being turned away as they arrive for work. FedEx released a statement at 7:20 a.m. indicating that it is "aware of the situation." Details are hazy about the suspect's identity and possible motive, but he is believed to be a male wearing all-black clothing and wearing shotgun shells around his left shoulder.
Update 9:05 a.m.: Police say the suspect is dead from what is "probably" a self-inflicted gunshot wound, reports the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. -- Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- Why baseball is America's most dangerous spectator sport
Subscribe to the Week