- Don't mess April 29
Here's a unique birthday present.
Country singer and songwriter Willie Nelson, who will celebrate his 81st birthday on Wednesday, got going with the festivities a bit early, receiving his fifth-degree black belt in the martial art of Gong Kwon Yu Sul on Monday night.
"I'm pretty healthy at 81. I think a lot of it has to do with the exercise that you do," Nelson told the Associated Press. "I think martial arts is one of the best exercises you can do. Mentally, spiritually, physically, everything."
Nelson's love of martial arts is well-documented; the country legend talked about his practice with Men's Health in 2013, noting that "you have all this time you're given in life, and it's better to have something to do with it. Keeps you out of trouble. Sometimes."
Grand Master Sam Um, who began working with Nelson more than two decades ago, told the AP he was initially worried about the singer's health, but that "he has more stamina than I do."
Below, a couple of images from Nelson's ceremony. --Sarah Eberspacher
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
Subscribe to the Week