- steak out April 29
It looks like steak lovers might soon have some beef with Chipotle. The rising costs of ingredients have forced the Mexican fast food company to implement an across-the-menu price increase that will impact steak lovers the hardest. Jack Hartung, Chipotle's chief financial officer, said Tuesday that there will soon be a larger price disparity between its chicken and steak fillings to combat rising beef prices, as the price of beef has increased by 25 percent in the last year.
"We're going to allow our customers to choose whether they want to pay the higher price of steak," said Hartung. That means the cost of steak will rise between 4 and 6 percent, or between 32 and 50 cents per burrito.
Chipotle said the price increases will debut sometime this summer, but the new prices have yet to be determined.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Surviving a plane crash
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi: The man who would be caliph
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Everything you need to master Chinese cooking
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- When men who abstain from pre-marital sex get married
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
Subscribe to the Week