- Crime and punishment April 30
The soccer fan suspected of throwing a banana at Barcelona defender Dani Alves has been arrested. BBC News reports that Spanish police detained a 26-year-old male who is a fan of the opposing team, Villarreal CF. The club also pulled the man's season tickets and placed a lifetime ban on him.
The Brazilian-born Alves, who has been the victim of racist taunts for years, picked up the banana and ate it — a much-praised reaction that garnered worldwide attention. After Sunday's game, Alves admitted he wasn't outraged by the incident, saying, "You have to take it with a dose of humor. We aren't going to change things easily."- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Pope Francis' American problem
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
Subscribe to the Week