- Crime and punishment April 30
The soccer fan suspected of throwing a banana at Barcelona defender Dani Alves has been arrested. BBC News reports that Spanish police detained a 26-year-old male who is a fan of the opposing team, Villarreal CF. The club also pulled the man's season tickets and placed a lifetime ban on him.
The Brazilian-born Alves, who has been the victim of racist taunts for years, picked up the banana and ate it — a much-praised reaction that garnered worldwide attention. After Sunday's game, Alves admitted he wasn't outraged by the incident, saying, "You have to take it with a dose of humor. We aren't going to change things easily."- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- The culture war finally comes to the Catholic Church
- Feast your eyes on this beautiful linguistic family tree
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
Subscribe to the Week