- Crime and punishment April 30
The soccer fan suspected of throwing a banana at Barcelona defender Dani Alves has been arrested. BBC News reports that Spanish police detained a 26-year-old male who is a fan of the opposing team, Villarreal CF. The club also pulled the man's season tickets and placed a lifetime ban on him.
The Brazilian-born Alves, who has been the victim of racist taunts for years, picked up the banana and ate it — a much-praised reaction that garnered worldwide attention. After Sunday's game, Alves admitted he wasn't outraged by the incident, saying, "You have to take it with a dose of humor. We aren't going to change things easily."- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The keys to succeeding with a job recruiter
Subscribe to the Week