- Crime and punishment April 30
The soccer fan suspected of throwing a banana at Barcelona defender Dani Alves has been arrested. BBC News reports that Spanish police detained a 26-year-old male who is a fan of the opposing team, Villarreal CF. The club also pulled the man's season tickets and placed a lifetime ban on him.
The Brazilian-born Alves, who has been the victim of racist taunts for years, picked up the banana and ate it — a much-praised reaction that garnered worldwide attention. After Sunday's game, Alves admitted he wasn't outraged by the incident, saying, "You have to take it with a dose of humor. We aren't going to change things easily."- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- The week's best photojournalism
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
Subscribe to the Week