Charlotte. This Craftsman-style house in the Myers Park neighborhood was built in 2006. The five-bedroom home features an open living room and kitchen area with 18-foot-high pine-and-fir ceilings.
The quarter-acre lot includes a patio with an outdoor kitchen and a fireplace. $1,199,000. Eric Gamble, HM Properties, (704) 942-4104.
Hillsborough. Built in 1757, this five-bedroom home is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Details include a chef's kitchen, 10-foot ceilings, a wet bar, and an exercise room.
The 10-acre property is a mixture of pasture and hardwood trees. $2,195,000. Susan Peak, Peak, Swirles and Cavallito Properties/Leverage Global Partners, (919) 612-3221.
Charlotte. Renowned English-born architect William Peeps built this five-bedroom brick Tudor in 1921. The house features high ceilings, hardwood floors, and multiple fireplaces.
Outside amenities include a large covered porch and a 0.6-acre landscaped lot. $2,795,000. Lynn and Sarah Salton, HM Properties, (704) 552-9292.
Summerfield. This two-bedroom house sits on a 16.8-acre horse farm. The property features a lagoon pool, an outdoor kitchen, and a guesthouse with a full bath and a kitchen.
Equestrian amenities include five fenced pastures, a riding ring, and a six-stall stable with a one-bedroom apartment. $1,600,000. Tom Chitty, Berkshire Hathaway Home Services/Yost & Little, (336) 420-2836.
Raleigh. This Georgian-style, four-bedroom brick home was built in 2003. The interior features a coffered ceiling, a kitchen with high-end appliances, and a master suite with a soaking tub. Outdoor amenities include a covered porch, a deck, and a circular driveway. $800,000. Caroline Castelain, Berkshire Hathaway Home Services, (919) 971-9437.
Warrenton. The Bobbitt-Pendleton-Arrington house was built circa 1840 and is located in the Warrenton Historic District. The five-bedroom "Steal of the Week" house includes details such as hardwood floors, six fireplaces, and high ceilings.
The 1.2-acre property has gardens designed by Charles Gillette and is bordered by a stone wall with three gated entrances. $350,000. Jane Worley, Hodge & Kittrell/Sotheby's International Realty, (919) 218-7408.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
- 13 vegetarian dishes for Thanksgiving
- Chuck Hagel wasn't the problem. It's America's addiction to endless war.
Subscribe to the Week