- Really? April 30
Pharrell's song "Happy" has won most of the world over, earning him an Oscar nomination and even a heartfelt cry with Oprah. But today, Pharrell revealed some surprising news about the track: his recording wasn't the first version.
The singer and producer told Howard Stern that Cee Lo Green recorded the original version of the song, but that Green's song was vetoed by record execs. Pharrell was quite humble in the interview, saying that Green's recording "burns [his] version" and that Green "sounded amazing." But Green's version hasn't hit the internet — at least not yet — so we'll have to be content with Pharrell's own recording of the megahit. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- China's leader is telling the People's Liberation Army to prepare for war
- How to save money: 12 great personal finance tips
- How I lost all my money
- The best books we read in 2014
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- The religious right isn't retreating — it's reforming
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week