- Really? April 30
Pharrell's song "Happy" has won most of the world over, earning him an Oscar nomination and even a heartfelt cry with Oprah. But today, Pharrell revealed some surprising news about the track: his recording wasn't the first version.
The singer and producer told Howard Stern that Cee Lo Green recorded the original version of the song, but that Green's song was vetoed by record execs. Pharrell was quite humble in the interview, saying that Green's recording "burns [his] version" and that Green "sounded amazing." But Green's version hasn't hit the internet — at least not yet — so we'll have to be content with Pharrell's own recording of the megahit. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Blame Obama and U.S. evangelicals for the persecution of Iraqi Christians
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
- Face it, ladies: We can't all be beautiful
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- Don't hate the 'poor door'
Subscribe to the Week