- Really? April 30
Pharrell's song "Happy" has won most of the world over, earning him an Oscar nomination and even a heartfelt cry with Oprah. But today, Pharrell revealed some surprising news about the track: his recording wasn't the first version.
The singer and producer told Howard Stern that Cee Lo Green recorded the original version of the song, but that Green's song was vetoed by record execs. Pharrell was quite humble in the interview, saying that Green's recording "burns [his] version" and that Green "sounded amazing." But Green's version hasn't hit the internet — at least not yet — so we'll have to be content with Pharrell's own recording of the megahit. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- In defense of family dinner
- Do you need to be crazy to be the best?
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
Subscribe to the Week