- Really? April 30
Pharrell's song "Happy" has won most of the world over, earning him an Oscar nomination and even a heartfelt cry with Oprah. But today, Pharrell revealed some surprising news about the track: his recording wasn't the first version.
The singer and producer told Howard Stern that Cee Lo Green recorded the original version of the song, but that Green's song was vetoed by record execs. Pharrell was quite humble in the interview, saying that Green's recording "burns [his] version" and that Green "sounded amazing." But Green's version hasn't hit the internet — at least not yet — so we'll have to be content with Pharrell's own recording of the megahit. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The rise of the global middle class is our best hope to stop climate change
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- What I learned from totally unplugging and shutting up for three days
- Immigration, charity, and conservatives' unholy assault on Glenn Beck
Subscribe to the Week