- Rest in peace April 30
Longtime Mad Magazine editor Al Feldstein has died of undisclosed causes at his home in Montana. He was 88.
An artist, writer, and editor, Feldstein played a pivotal role in the development of iconic and controversial EC Comics series like Tale from the Crypt and Weird Science. But his longest and most enduring tenure was at Mad, where he served as editor from 1955 to 1984. After retiring, Feldstein became an acclaimed nature painter, and earned honors from the Will Eisner Comic Book Hall of Fame.
In a 2007 interview with The A.V. Club, Feldstein described the unlikely beginning of his decades-long career in the publishing industry. "My folks were in the depth of the Depression, and they didn't even have a dime to send me to school," said Feldstein. "I heard that some kid was making 20 bucks a page drawing comic books. Wow, that was a lot of money, and I thought, 'What the hell, I can do that.'"- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
- This week I learned the surprisingly dark origins of the Nobel Prize, and more
Subscribe to the Week