- The Daily Showdown May 1
For viewers who "still believe in the government's ability to earn people's trust," despite the best efforts of Congress, this part of Wednesday night's Daily Show is "probably not for you," warned Jon Stewart at the start of the show. For the next eight minutes, Stewart ran through a list of recent bureaucratic mishaps in the federal government. He started with IRS employees owing back taxes, then (after a brief psychedelic interlude) moved on to the Social Security Administration's dalliance with seizing people's tax returns for debts owed by their dead relatives. This was all prelude, though, to a story about a Veterans Affairs hospital in Phoenix that made Stewart scream obscenities into a jar. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 29 adorable slang terms for sex (from the last 600 years)
- What if The Purge was real?
- Why I choose not to be rich
- Here's the last time Russia shot down a passenger plane
Subscribe to the Week