- The Daily Showdown May 1
For viewers who "still believe in the government's ability to earn people's trust," despite the best efforts of Congress, this part of Wednesday night's Daily Show is "probably not for you," warned Jon Stewart at the start of the show. For the next eight minutes, Stewart ran through a list of recent bureaucratic mishaps in the federal government. He started with IRS employees owing back taxes, then (after a brief psychedelic interlude) moved on to the Social Security Administration's dalliance with seizing people's tax returns for debts owed by their dead relatives. This was all prelude, though, to a story about a Veterans Affairs hospital in Phoenix that made Stewart scream obscenities into a jar. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
Subscribe to the Week