- The Daily Showdown May 1
For viewers who "still believe in the government's ability to earn people's trust," despite the best efforts of Congress, this part of Wednesday night's Daily Show is "probably not for you," warned Jon Stewart at the start of the show. For the next eight minutes, Stewart ran through a list of recent bureaucratic mishaps in the federal government. He started with IRS employees owing back taxes, then (after a brief psychedelic interlude) moved on to the Social Security Administration's dalliance with seizing people's tax returns for debts owed by their dead relatives. This was all prelude, though, to a story about a Veterans Affairs hospital in Phoenix that made Stewart scream obscenities into a jar. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to make corn dogs
Subscribe to the Week