- Oof May 1
The San Jose Sharks on Wednesday completed a historic implosion, falling to the L.A. Kings 5-1 in Game 7 of their opening round playoff matchup. In doing so, the Sharks became only the fourth NHL team ever to lose a best-of-seven series after taking a three games to none lead.
Already down 3-1 with two minutes left in Game 7, the Sharks pulled their goalie and promptly gave up an empty net goal, then another to seal defeat. The reaction from general manager Doug Wilson after the first empty-netter said it all. --Jon Terbush
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- The week's best photojournalism
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
Subscribe to the Week