- Oof May 1
The San Jose Sharks on Wednesday completed a historic implosion, falling to the L.A. Kings 5-1 in Game 7 of their opening round playoff matchup. In doing so, the Sharks became only the fourth NHL team ever to lose a best-of-seven series after taking a three games to none lead.
Already down 3-1 with two minutes left in Game 7, the Sharks pulled their goalie and promptly gave up an empty net goal, then another to seal defeat. The reaction from general manager Doug Wilson after the first empty-netter said it all. --Jon Terbush
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why TheWeek.com is closing the comments section
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- Pope Francis' American problem
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- A brief history of the Christmas present
Subscribe to the Week