- The Dead don't talk May 1
For a case that's been closed for 20 years (and remains closed), Kurt Cobain's suicide continues to make a lot of news. The Seattle Police Department's cold-case unit went back and re-examined the case files for the Nirvana frontman's death, and the only real new development was of a roll of 35 mm film. Then, on Wednesday, the Seattle PD posted 34 previously unreleased photos from Cobain's suicide scene, adding to the two released in March.
The most tantalizing news, though, is a note that was found in Cobain's wallet, released by the Seattle PD, following a freedom of information request, and first published by CBS News. The undated note, written on stationery from San Francisco's Phoenix hotel, is about Cobain's wife, Courtney Love. It isn't particularly kind: "Do you Kurt Cobain take Courtney Michelle Love to be your lawful shredded wife even when shes a bitch with zits and siphoning all yr money for doping and whoring, will you promise to f--k her at least once a week. OK."
(Image via CBSNews.com / Seattle Police Department)
Since Cobain is dead, we will never know why he wrote the note — anger? a song idea? irony? — or why it was in his wallet. And Seattle police aren't even saying the handwriting is Cobain's. But for what it's worth, as Billboard notes, this is what Cobain wrote about Love in his suicide note: She was a "goddess of a wife who sweats ambition and empathy." Not exactly unqualified adoration, but better than "bitch with zits."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- 10 things you need to know today: July 25, 2014
Subscribe to the Week