- Time for a mint julep May 1
'Twas the day before the Derby, and all around the track — okay, I'll stop there.
Friday kicks off the 140th Kentucky Derby, and trainers, owners, and race fans alike are flocking to Churchill Downs in anticipation of horse racing's marquee event. Long-time oddsmaker Mike Battaglia added to California Chrome's hype, making the horse a 5-2 morning-line favorite.
"That's a pretty short price for a 20-horse field," he told The New York Times.
You can take a look at the full lineup, in order of qualifying points, at the Courier-Journal.
I prefer picking my favorites based on best names, though, so good luck to Dance With Fate, Hoppertunity, and Uncle Sigh. Below, check out photos of the horses prepping for the race of their lives. --Sarah Eberspacher
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- When Khomeini said no to Iranian nukes
Subscribe to the Week