- Time for a mint julep May 1
'Twas the day before the Derby, and all around the track — okay, I'll stop there.
Friday kicks off the 140th Kentucky Derby, and trainers, owners, and race fans alike are flocking to Churchill Downs in anticipation of horse racing's marquee event. Long-time oddsmaker Mike Battaglia added to California Chrome's hype, making the horse a 5-2 morning-line favorite.
"That's a pretty short price for a 20-horse field," he told The New York Times.
You can take a look at the full lineup, in order of qualifying points, at the Courier-Journal.
I prefer picking my favorites based on best names, though, so good luck to Dance With Fate, Hoppertunity, and Uncle Sigh. Below, check out photos of the horses prepping for the race of their lives. --Sarah Eberspacher
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Pope Francis' American problem
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 3 key insights about Obama from Chuck Todd's The Stranger
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
Subscribe to the Week