- Time for a mint julep May 1
'Twas the day before the Derby, and all around the track — okay, I'll stop there.
Friday kicks off the 140th Kentucky Derby, and trainers, owners, and race fans alike are flocking to Churchill Downs in anticipation of horse racing's marquee event. Long-time oddsmaker Mike Battaglia added to California Chrome's hype, making the horse a 5-2 morning-line favorite.
"That's a pretty short price for a 20-horse field," he told The New York Times.
You can take a look at the full lineup, in order of qualifying points, at the Courier-Journal.
I prefer picking my favorites based on best names, though, so good luck to Dance With Fate, Hoppertunity, and Uncle Sigh. Below, check out photos of the horses prepping for the race of their lives. --Sarah Eberspacher
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
Subscribe to the Week