- Time for a mint julep May 1
'Twas the day before the Derby, and all around the track — okay, I'll stop there.
Friday kicks off the 140th Kentucky Derby, and trainers, owners, and race fans alike are flocking to Churchill Downs in anticipation of horse racing's marquee event. Long-time oddsmaker Mike Battaglia added to California Chrome's hype, making the horse a 5-2 morning-line favorite.
"That's a pretty short price for a 20-horse field," he told The New York Times.
You can take a look at the full lineup, in order of qualifying points, at the Courier-Journal.
I prefer picking my favorites based on best names, though, so good luck to Dance With Fate, Hoppertunity, and Uncle Sigh. Below, check out photos of the horses prepping for the race of their lives. --Sarah Eberspacher
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The danger of the Democrats' lack of desperation
- Hey, Paul Ryan's new poverty plan isn't completely terrible!
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
Subscribe to the Week