- Time for a mint julep May 1
'Twas the day before the Derby, and all around the track — okay, I'll stop there.
Friday kicks off the 140th Kentucky Derby, and trainers, owners, and race fans alike are flocking to Churchill Downs in anticipation of horse racing's marquee event. Long-time oddsmaker Mike Battaglia added to California Chrome's hype, making the horse a 5-2 morning-line favorite.
"That's a pretty short price for a 20-horse field," he told The New York Times.
You can take a look at the full lineup, in order of qualifying points, at the Courier-Journal.
I prefer picking my favorites based on best names, though, so good luck to Dance With Fate, Hoppertunity, and Uncle Sigh. Below, check out photos of the horses prepping for the race of their lives. --Sarah Eberspacher
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
Subscribe to the Week