- 2016 Watch May 1
So ask Maggie Haberman and Glenn Thrush in a lengthy Politico Magazine profile of the former secretary of state and 2016 Democratic frontrunner.
If Clinton says yes [to another presidential run], she'll have access to a bottomless pool of Democratic political talent and cash to match all those hyperbolic pronouncements about her inevitability. If she doesn't run, the single biggest factor holding her back will be the media, according to an informal survey of three dozen friends, allies and former aides interviewed for this article. As much as anything else, her ambivalence about the race, they told us, reflects her distaste for and apprehension of a rapacious, shallow and sometimes outright sexist national political press corps acting as enablers for her enemies on the right. [Politico Magazine]
Clinton undoubtedly has long had a troubled relationship with the press, culminating in a stinging defeat to Barack Obama in the 2008 Democratic primaries that was at least partly fueled by glowing press coverage for the young senator from Illinois. But the idea that Clinton has a media problem going into 2016 might draw some scoffs from those on the right, who have seen her winning some pretty decent coverage herself.
One thing certainly has not changed: The disparate members of Hillaryland have no qualms dishing to reporters, which always ends up portraying the Clinton family as a walking psychodrama of barely controlled chaos. After the debacle of 2008, that's certainly not the message the Clintons want to send.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- 8 tricks to surviving the holidays without gaining weight or being grouchy
- Adam Sandler's 'Thanksgiving Song': Explaining the 22-year-old tune's pop-culture references
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
- 13 vegetarian dishes for Thanksgiving
Subscribe to the Week