- This just in May 2
The ship's first mate told the paper that the vessel was carrying three times more cargo than normal. The Sewol had a maximum capacity of 987 tons, but it was allegedly hauling 3,608 tons of weight.
A prosecutor on the investigation team told the outlet that the practice of overloading such ships is "not uncommon" in South Korea. The ship's captain and 14 other crew members who abandoned the ship are currently being detained by prosecutors.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
Subscribe to the Week