- Supersize me May 2
The latest incarnation of Godzilla is in 3D, stars Bryan Cranston, and will be released on May 16. But some international fans aren't warming to the new movie, saying that America has super-sized the monster.
AFP interviewed Japanese fans about the reboot, and many of them expressed concern that the lizard was too chubby. "It's fat from the neck downwards and massive at the bottom," said 51-year-old Fumihiko Abe, who claims he has seen every Godzilla movie ever made. "When I finally saw it, I was a bit taken aback."
"It's true that you gain weight in America. It's a calorie monster," said another Japanese fan. "It's Godzilla Deluxe."
Evidently, not even fictional lizards are immune to fat-shaming.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- 10 things you need to know today: July 31, 2014
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Don't vote for Andrew Cuomo
Subscribe to the Week