- Supersize me May 2
The latest incarnation of Godzilla is in 3D, stars Bryan Cranston, and will be released on May 16. But some international fans aren't warming to the new movie, saying that America has super-sized the monster.
AFP interviewed Japanese fans about the reboot, and many of them expressed concern that the lizard was too chubby. "It's fat from the neck downwards and massive at the bottom," said 51-year-old Fumihiko Abe, who claims he has seen every Godzilla movie ever made. "When I finally saw it, I was a bit taken aback."
"It's true that you gain weight in America. It's a calorie monster," said another Japanese fan. "It's Godzilla Deluxe."
Evidently, not even fictional lizards are immune to fat-shaming.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The 7 best Halloween-themed editorial cartoons
Subscribe to the Week