- Supersize me May 2
The latest incarnation of Godzilla is in 3D, stars Bryan Cranston, and will be released on May 16. But some international fans aren't warming to the new movie, saying that America has super-sized the monster.
AFP interviewed Japanese fans about the reboot, and many of them expressed concern that the lizard was too chubby. "It's fat from the neck downwards and massive at the bottom," said 51-year-old Fumihiko Abe, who claims he has seen every Godzilla movie ever made. "When I finally saw it, I was a bit taken aback."
"It's true that you gain weight in America. It's a calorie monster," said another Japanese fan. "It's Godzilla Deluxe."
Evidently, not even fictional lizards are immune to fat-shaming.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Rise of the machines
- 10 things you need to know today: October 20, 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ban PowerPoint!
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
Subscribe to the Week