- Supersize me May 2
The latest incarnation of Godzilla is in 3D, stars Bryan Cranston, and will be released on May 16. But some international fans aren't warming to the new movie, saying that America has super-sized the monster.
AFP interviewed Japanese fans about the reboot, and many of them expressed concern that the lizard was too chubby. "It's fat from the neck downwards and massive at the bottom," said 51-year-old Fumihiko Abe, who claims he has seen every Godzilla movie ever made. "When I finally saw it, I was a bit taken aback."
"It's true that you gain weight in America. It's a calorie monster," said another Japanese fan. "It's Godzilla Deluxe."
Evidently, not even fictional lizards are immune to fat-shaming.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: November 22, 2014
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
Subscribe to the Week