- Supersize me May 2
The latest incarnation of Godzilla is in 3D, stars Bryan Cranston, and will be released on May 16. But some international fans aren't warming to the new movie, saying that America has super-sized the monster.
AFP interviewed Japanese fans about the reboot, and many of them expressed concern that the lizard was too chubby. "It's fat from the neck downwards and massive at the bottom," said 51-year-old Fumihiko Abe, who claims he has seen every Godzilla movie ever made. "When I finally saw it, I was a bit taken aback."
"It's true that you gain weight in America. It's a calorie monster," said another Japanese fan. "It's Godzilla Deluxe."
Evidently, not even fictional lizards are immune to fat-shaming.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Dick Cheney's America is an ugly place
- The Hobbit: A disappointing set of movies, but a worthy set of prequels
- America is building a Sunni army in Iraq to take on the Islamic State
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The liberation of Barack Obama
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
- The age of miracles is over — even for the religious
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
Subscribe to the Week