- Bitchin' Corvette May 4
It was one of FDR's vice presidents, John Nance Garner IV, who is credited with comparing his heartbeat-away-from-the-presidency office as "not worth a bucket of warm piss." That's kind of the premise of Veep, Julia Louis-Dreyfus' well-regarded HBO show. In this photo — maybe the most Joe Biden-y photo ever, second only to The Onion's iconic photoshopped shirtless Joe Biden washing a Trans-Am at the White House — Joe Biden doesn't make the office look all that shabby.
To understand why the fictional and real vice presidents are sitting side-by-side in a yellow Corvette, you have to watch this video from Saturday night's White House Correspondents' Association Dinner (somewhat self-obsessively referred to as the "nerd prom"). But that's an endeavor well-worth seven minutes of your time, maybe just for the cameos alone. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 10 things you need to know today: October 21, 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- Paul Krugman, Amazon, and the left's backwards view of book-industry titans
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week