- 2014 Watch May 5
Iowa Senate candidate Joni Ernst (R) — who boasted in her first TV ad that she could cut "pork" in Washington, thanks to her ability to castrate squealing hogs — has yet another spot up, in which she asks Republican primary voters to, um, "give me a shot" at ObamaCare.
Ernst is shown loading up a handgun at a shooting range. "Joni Ernst will take aim at wasteful spending," the announcer says. "And once she sets her sights on ObamaCare, Joni's gonna unload."
BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!
One interesting thing to point out is that the Republican candidate Ernst is far from being the first candidate to fire a gun at a piece of Washington legislation in a TV ad. That honor quite famously goes to Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia, who took "dead aim" at the cap-and-trade bill during his 2010 campaign. But later on, after the near-fatal shooting of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.) by a deranged lone gunman in Jan. 2011, Manchin doubted that he would run such an ad again.- - Eric Kleefeld
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- This week I learned the surprisingly dark origins of the Nobel Prize, and more
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
Subscribe to the Week