- 2014 Watch May 5
Iowa Senate candidate Joni Ernst (R) — who boasted in her first TV ad that she could cut "pork" in Washington, thanks to her ability to castrate squealing hogs — has yet another spot up, in which she asks Republican primary voters to, um, "give me a shot" at ObamaCare.
Ernst is shown loading up a handgun at a shooting range. "Joni Ernst will take aim at wasteful spending," the announcer says. "And once she sets her sights on ObamaCare, Joni's gonna unload."
BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!
One interesting thing to point out is that the Republican candidate Ernst is far from being the first candidate to fire a gun at a piece of Washington legislation in a TV ad. That honor quite famously goes to Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia, who took "dead aim" at the cap-and-trade bill during his 2010 campaign. But later on, after the near-fatal shooting of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.) by a deranged lone gunman in Jan. 2011, Manchin doubted that he would run such an ad again.- - Eric Kleefeld
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 5 legitimate scientific controversies
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- 10 things you need to know today: October 2, 2014
- Why I got married — without a wedding
- How to improve your workplace culture
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- Why the Rubio-Lee tax plan is great politics — and great policy
Subscribe to the Week