- 2014 Watch May 5
Iowa Senate candidate Joni Ernst (R) — who boasted in her first TV ad that she could cut "pork" in Washington, thanks to her ability to castrate squealing hogs — has yet another spot up, in which she asks Republican primary voters to, um, "give me a shot" at ObamaCare.
Ernst is shown loading up a handgun at a shooting range. "Joni Ernst will take aim at wasteful spending," the announcer says. "And once she sets her sights on ObamaCare, Joni's gonna unload."
BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!
One interesting thing to point out is that the Republican candidate Ernst is far from being the first candidate to fire a gun at a piece of Washington legislation in a TV ad. That honor quite famously goes to Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia, who took "dead aim" at the cap-and-trade bill during his 2010 campaign. But later on, after the near-fatal shooting of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.) by a deranged lone gunman in Jan. 2011, Manchin doubted that he would run such an ad again.- - Eric Kleefeld
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- Hey, Paul Ryan's new poverty plan isn't completely terrible!
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Deficit scolds are the most crazed ideologues in America
- The disturbing lessons of Arizona's un-American execution
- 7 language habits that reveal your age
Subscribe to the Week