- 2014 Watch May 5
With President Obama still quite unpopular nationwide, Democratic lawmakers may be thinking twice about cozying up to him this election year. Count Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.V.) among them.
Though Manchin isn't up for re-election this year, he gave a curt "no" when asked Monday on MSNBC's Morning Joe if he would invite the president to campaign alongside him. However, he did say he would tout ObamaCare were he running this year.
Manchin is one of the most conservative Democrats in Congress, so his disinclination to campaign with Obama is likely based more on policy disagreements than anything. He did, after all, literally shoot a White House cap and trade bill in a campaign ad.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 10 things you need to know today: September 16, 2014
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
- The many injustices of Missouri's new 'waiting-period' abortion law
Subscribe to the Week