- 2014 Watch May 5
With President Obama still quite unpopular nationwide, Democratic lawmakers may be thinking twice about cozying up to him this election year. Count Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.V.) among them.
Though Manchin isn't up for re-election this year, he gave a curt "no" when asked Monday on MSNBC's Morning Joe if he would invite the president to campaign alongside him. However, he did say he would tout ObamaCare were he running this year.
Manchin is one of the most conservative Democrats in Congress, so his disinclination to campaign with Obama is likely based more on policy disagreements than anything. He did, after all, literally shoot a White House cap and trade bill in a campaign ad.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Russia's new air force is a mystery
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The government is getting into the fact-checking business. Be very, very afraid.
Subscribe to the Week