- Get ready for the slow dance May 5
Following in the footsteps of the Marine who asked Mila Kunis to attend a Marine Corps Ball with him, high schooler Carly Monzo made a video asking Olympic gold medalist Shaun White to be her date to prom. She and her friends tweeted the video at him numerous times, never expecting White would actually watch it.
Monzo, a senior at Mount St. Joseph Academy in Pennsylvania, was in for the surprise of her life when White, 27, showed up to the dance unannounced. School officials pulled back a curtain to reveal White and his band, Bad Things, playing a song at the event.
"I was like, this is not real life right now. I was speechless. I didn't even know what to say," Monzo told CBS Sports. Watch the video that won the snowboarder over below. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- Yes, the Obama administration's green loans are unprofitable. They should be.
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- 5 quick things you can do today to boost your creativity
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why we gossip, according to science
Subscribe to the Week