- Get ready for the slow dance May 5
Following in the footsteps of the Marine who asked Mila Kunis to attend a Marine Corps Ball with him, high schooler Carly Monzo made a video asking Olympic gold medalist Shaun White to be her date to prom. She and her friends tweeted the video at him numerous times, never expecting White would actually watch it.
Monzo, a senior at Mount St. Joseph Academy in Pennsylvania, was in for the surprise of her life when White, 27, showed up to the dance unannounced. School officials pulled back a curtain to reveal White and his band, Bad Things, playing a song at the event.
"I was like, this is not real life right now. I was speechless. I didn't even know what to say," Monzo told CBS Sports. Watch the video that won the snowboarder over below. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- The week's best photojournalism
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- 10 things you need to know today: November 28, 2014
Subscribe to the Week