- Get ready for the slow dance May 5
Following in the footsteps of the Marine who asked Mila Kunis to attend a Marine Corps Ball with him, high schooler Carly Monzo made a video asking Olympic gold medalist Shaun White to be her date to prom. She and her friends tweeted the video at him numerous times, never expecting White would actually watch it.
Monzo, a senior at Mount St. Joseph Academy in Pennsylvania, was in for the surprise of her life when White, 27, showed up to the dance unannounced. School officials pulled back a curtain to reveal White and his band, Bad Things, playing a song at the event.
"I was like, this is not real life right now. I was speechless. I didn't even know what to say," Monzo told CBS Sports. Watch the video that won the snowboarder over below. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Pope Francis' American problem
- For the last time: Congress is not exempt from ObamaCare
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
Subscribe to the Week