- Get ready for the slow dance May 5
Following in the footsteps of the Marine who asked Mila Kunis to attend a Marine Corps Ball with him, high schooler Carly Monzo made a video asking Olympic gold medalist Shaun White to be her date to prom. She and her friends tweeted the video at him numerous times, never expecting White would actually watch it.
Monzo, a senior at Mount St. Joseph Academy in Pennsylvania, was in for the surprise of her life when White, 27, showed up to the dance unannounced. School officials pulled back a curtain to reveal White and his band, Bad Things, playing a song at the event.
"I was like, this is not real life right now. I was speechless. I didn't even know what to say," Monzo told CBS Sports. Watch the video that won the snowboarder over below. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- 10 things you need to know today: October 31, 2014
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- Israel's quiet doomsday submarines are almost ready
Subscribe to the Week