- Get ready for the slow dance May 5
Following in the footsteps of the Marine who asked Mila Kunis to attend a Marine Corps Ball with him, high schooler Carly Monzo made a video asking Olympic gold medalist Shaun White to be her date to prom. She and her friends tweeted the video at him numerous times, never expecting White would actually watch it.
Monzo, a senior at Mount St. Joseph Academy in Pennsylvania, was in for the surprise of her life when White, 27, showed up to the dance unannounced. School officials pulled back a curtain to reveal White and his band, Bad Things, playing a song at the event.
"I was like, this is not real life right now. I was speechless. I didn't even know what to say," Monzo told CBS Sports. Watch the video that won the snowboarder over below. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- The slippery slope of Twitter's attempts to stop harassment against women
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week