- 2014 Watch May 5
With six months to go before the midterm elections, Americans would prefer that the Senate remain under Democratic control, according to a CNN poll released Monday afternoon.
In the survey, 45 percent of respondents said that, should Republicans maintain control of the House come November, the country would be "better off" if Democrats kept their majority in the Senate. Meanwhile, 42 percent said they hoped Republicans would take the Senate while holding the House.
Given that Democrats face an unfavorable political climate and a 30-plus seat disadvantage in the House, the likelihood of Republicans losing control of the lower chamber is somewhere close to nil.
That said, national polls like this one don't necessarily capture the mood within battleground states. So even if the nation as a whole would like a Democratic-controlled Senate, it will be the voters in a few key contests who decide if that comes to pass.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 10 things you need to know today: September 22, 2014
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- 7 common estate-planning mistakes
Subscribe to the Week