- Watch this May 6
The Superman prequel series Smallville must have done well for The CW, because Fox has just signed on for its own prolonged backstory of Superman's main superhero rival, Batman. Gotham will premier this fall, and Fox released this extended trailer on Monday night to get people excited. Ben McKenzie plays a young Gotham Detective Jim Gordon (later commissioner) and David Mazouz is an even younger Bruce Wayne. Most of your favorite villains will appear, too, and Jada Pinkett Smith plays a new gangster character, Fish Mooney.
Fox has signed on for at least 13 episodes. If Smallville is any indication, there will eventually be a lot more than that. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- Fall film guide: All the movies you should see in October
Subscribe to the Week