- Watch this May 6
The Superman prequel series Smallville must have done well for The CW, because Fox has just signed on for its own prolonged backstory of Superman's main superhero rival, Batman. Gotham will premier this fall, and Fox released this extended trailer on Monday night to get people excited. Ben McKenzie plays a young Gotham Detective Jim Gordon (later commissioner) and David Mazouz is an even younger Bruce Wayne. Most of your favorite villains will appear, too, and Jada Pinkett Smith plays a new gangster character, Fish Mooney.
Fox has signed on for at least 13 episodes. If Smallville is any indication, there will eventually be a lot more than that. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- How did Rick Perry escape blame for the Texas Ebola outbreak?
- This week I learned the surprisingly dark origins of the Nobel Prize, and more
Subscribe to the Week