- dead giveaway May 6
Charles Ramsey became an overnight sensation on May 6, 2013, when a video of the Cleveland resident describing the rescue of Michelle Knight, Amanda Berry, and Gina DeJesus from Ariel Castro's house of terror went viral. Ramsey discussed the afternoon in detail, from what he was eating (McDonald's) to how it felt when Berry came looking for help ("Bro, I knew something was wrong when a pretty little white girl ran into a black man's arms. Something is wrong here... dead giveaway.").
A year later, Ramsey is back, having spent the past 12 months reflecting on that fateful day and writing a book (the aptly titled Dead Giveaway). In an interview with WKYC's Russ Mitchell, Ramsey said that while "everyone wants to be in the limelight for some reason... to see my face plastered on national TV all over the place, and my name ringing throughout the city of Cleveland, for a good deed of course, that's overwhelming. I'm still having a hard time taking it in."
Mitchell also brought up the women, asking Ramsey, who has run into Knight several times around the neighborhood, how they have thanked him since the rescue. "You know what they're doing? They're moving on with life," he said. "They're not in a psych ward somewhere. That's how they're thanking me, by just living life to the fullest."
Ramsey gave Mitchell other tidbits about his own life, including that while he does have places to stay, he is technically homeless, and he's toying with the idea of going into stand up comedy. Watch the interview at USA Today. --Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
Subscribe to the Week