- IS THERE A GOVERNOR IN THE HOUSE? May 6
Oregon Gov. John Kitzhaber (D), a former emergency room doctor, returned briefly to medicine Monday evening.
Kitzhaber was on his way to a dinner in downtown Portland when he noticed a woman lying on the ground, and that somebody else was trying to help her. He had his driver pull over, he performed CPR on the woman, who is believed to have overdosed on drugs. The woman was then taken to a hospital, and is expected to live.
This is not the first time that Kitzhaber has taken time out from politics to perform medical care in public. Back in April 2010, he gave first aid in the middle of a Democratic primary debate to an audience member who was suffering from a seizure.- - Eric Kleefeld
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- 5 quick things you can do today to boost your creativity
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Yes, the Obama administration's green loans are unprofitable. They should be.
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why we gossip, according to science
Subscribe to the Week