- IS THERE A GOVERNOR IN THE HOUSE? May 6
Oregon Gov. John Kitzhaber (D), a former emergency room doctor, returned briefly to medicine Monday evening.
Kitzhaber was on his way to a dinner in downtown Portland when he noticed a woman lying on the ground, and that somebody else was trying to help her. He had his driver pull over, he performed CPR on the woman, who is believed to have overdosed on drugs. The woman was then taken to a hospital, and is expected to live.
This is not the first time that Kitzhaber has taken time out from politics to perform medical care in public. Back in April 2010, he gave first aid in the middle of a Democratic primary debate to an audience member who was suffering from a seizure.- - Eric Kleefeld
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
Subscribe to the Week