- IS THERE A GOVERNOR IN THE HOUSE? May 6
Oregon Gov. John Kitzhaber (D), a former emergency room doctor, returned briefly to medicine Monday evening.
Kitzhaber was on his way to a dinner in downtown Portland when he noticed a woman lying on the ground, and that somebody else was trying to help her. He had his driver pull over, he performed CPR on the woman, who is believed to have overdosed on drugs. The woman was then taken to a hospital, and is expected to live.
This is not the first time that Kitzhaber has taken time out from politics to perform medical care in public. Back in April 2010, he gave first aid in the middle of a Democratic primary debate to an audience member who was suffering from a seizure.- - Eric Kleefeld
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- How China sparked an Asian frenzy for killer submarines
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- 10 things you need to know today: August 30, 2014
Subscribe to the Week