- Coming Soon May 6
With a string of hits that includes Bridesmaids, Identity Thief, and The Heat under her belt, Melissa McCarthy is one of the hottest comediennes in Hollywood — but as both co-writer and star, her upcoming Tammy is probably the purest distillation of her comedic sensibilities yet. Tammy follows the titular character as she goes on a crime spree that includes robbery and resisting arrest.
Though the film's sprawling ensemble cast includes Mark Duplass, Toni Collette, and Dan Aykroyd, this trailer largely focuses on the relationship between Tammy and her grandmother (Susan Sarandon) — including an attempt to "un-rob" the fast food restaurant she robs at the start of the trailer.
Tammy was co-written and directed by McCarthy's husband Ben Falcone, who also starred as her love interest in Bridesmaids. It arrives in theaters on July 2. --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
Subscribe to the Week