- sorry May 6
Way Too Early host Thomas Roberts made the poor decision yesterday of airing a special Cinco de Mayo segment in which a sombrero-clad producer pretended to get drunk off tequila while shaking a maraca. Hugo Balta, the president of the National Association of Hispanic Journalists, called it the "the worst example I have seen of discriminatory stereotypical portrayal of any community by any media," prompting an apology from MSNBC.
"It was not our intention to be disrespectful and we sincerely apologize for the ill-advised references," the network said in a statement. The show's producer told Balta that all employees involved in the segment will be disciplined and ensured him that an incident like this will never happen again.
The Huffington Post has video of the cringe-worthy segment.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
Subscribe to the Week