- America the Beautiful May 6
Full disclosure: Richard Blakeley, the author of This is Why You're Fat, used to be my boss, so there's a special place in my heart for diabetes-inducing foods. That said, I was excited to learn that today is International No Diet Day.
The holiday, though, isn't just about cookies and pizza — it was founded to promote body acceptance and health at any size. Those are great goals, and it's an important movement in the age of the obsession with thigh gaps and Photoshop madness.
But being healthy also means you get to indulge (sometimes!), and what better day to do so than with treats that embody the anti-diet? Here are a few ideas to help get the celebrating started. --Meghan DeMaria
1. KFC Double Down
This bread-free chicken sandwich is really having a moment right now — someone even got it tattooed on his arm.
2. Mac and Cheese
Pretty much every variety is delicious, but if you want to get fancy, we've got six tips for upgrading your mac and cheese.
You really can't go wrong with pizza, whether it's the cinnamon, icing-covered variety or a classic New York slice. If you really want to get into the holiday spirit, try the Domino's Specialty Chicken, which uses fried chicken in place of a crust.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 10 things you need to know today: October 25, 2014
Subscribe to the Week