- America the Beautiful May 6
Full disclosure: Richard Blakeley, the author of This is Why You're Fat, used to be my boss, so there's a special place in my heart for diabetes-inducing foods. That said, I was excited to learn that today is International No Diet Day.
The holiday, though, isn't just about cookies and pizza — it was founded to promote body acceptance and health at any size. Those are great goals, and it's an important movement in the age of the obsession with thigh gaps and Photoshop madness.
But being healthy also means you get to indulge (sometimes!), and what better day to do so than with treats that embody the anti-diet? Here are a few ideas to help get the celebrating started. --Meghan DeMaria
1. KFC Double Down
This bread-free chicken sandwich is really having a moment right now — someone even got it tattooed on his arm.
2. Mac and Cheese
Pretty much every variety is delicious, but if you want to get fancy, we've got six tips for upgrading your mac and cheese.
You really can't go wrong with pizza, whether it's the cinnamon, icing-covered variety or a classic New York slice. If you really want to get into the holiday spirit, try the Domino's Specialty Chicken, which uses fried chicken in place of a crust.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
Subscribe to the Week