- Hippie-punching May 7
Jon Stewart has raged against the paucity of Wall Street bankers serving time for tanking the economy in 2008, but on Tuesday night's Daily Show he did find one top banker in lockup. But what about the "real perpetrators of financial district wrongdoing"? Stewart asked sardonically, as way of introducing the recent arrest of Occupy Wall Street protester Cecily McMillan. That makes the score Wall Street 1, Occupy Wall Street 1, Stewart said. And this is when the fun started.
Stewart's jokes about Occupy Wall Street are great, and Samantha Bee has some great lines about the poor Wall Street elites still suffering from PTID (post-traumatic inconvenience disorder). And by her count, the 1-1 score isn't a good measure of how the 1 percenters are faring against the 99 percent: "By my count, that puts us 98 convicted hippies away from true justice." --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- The real-life events that inspired Game of Thrones' Red Wedding
- What Keeping Up with the Kardashians can teach America about interracial marriage
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- ISIS and the echoes of the West's religious terror
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
Subscribe to the Week