- Hippie-punching May 7
Jon Stewart has raged against the paucity of Wall Street bankers serving time for tanking the economy in 2008, but on Tuesday night's Daily Show he did find one top banker in lockup. But what about the "real perpetrators of financial district wrongdoing"? Stewart asked sardonically, as way of introducing the recent arrest of Occupy Wall Street protester Cecily McMillan. That makes the score Wall Street 1, Occupy Wall Street 1, Stewart said. And this is when the fun started.
Stewart's jokes about Occupy Wall Street are great, and Samantha Bee has some great lines about the poor Wall Street elites still suffering from PTID (post-traumatic inconvenience disorder). And by her count, the 1-1 score isn't a good measure of how the 1 percenters are faring against the 99 percent: "By my count, that puts us 98 convicted hippies away from true justice." --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why America needs more billionaires
Subscribe to the Week