- Watch this May 7
Newly released surveillance video of the California teen who miraculously survived a five and a half hour flight from San Jose to Hawaii in a plane's landing gear shows the boy stumbling around shortly after the jet landed last month.
In a six-minute clip from a camera pointed at the runway of Kahului Airport in Maui, 15-year-old Yahya Abdi can be seen wobbling around the Hawaiian Airlines jet before moving out of view. He later reappears and approaches an employee wearing a yellow vest, per NBC News. The video, which was recorded the morning of April 20, matches the airport officer's first statement that mentioned an unidentified "juvenile male" who was "walking on the tarmac."
The boy, who finally returned to California over the weekend, told officers he missed his mother in Somalia and boarded a plane to reunite with her. The ordeal still isn't over for Abdi as San Jose Police are investigating a possible trespassing charge. However, they want to interview him first. -- Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- If Scotland leaves the union, is Northern Ireland next?
- America is doomed! (And other thoughts on our gloomy historical moment.)
- The impossible promise at the heart of Scotland's campaign for independence
Subscribe to the Week