- Watch this May 7
Newly released surveillance video of the California teen who miraculously survived a five and a half hour flight from San Jose to Hawaii in a plane's landing gear shows the boy stumbling around shortly after the jet landed last month.
In a six-minute clip from a camera pointed at the runway of Kahului Airport in Maui, 15-year-old Yahya Abdi can be seen wobbling around the Hawaiian Airlines jet before moving out of view. He later reappears and approaches an employee wearing a yellow vest, per NBC News. The video, which was recorded the morning of April 20, matches the airport officer's first statement that mentioned an unidentified "juvenile male" who was "walking on the tarmac."
The boy, who finally returned to California over the weekend, told officers he missed his mother in Somalia and boarded a plane to reunite with her. The ordeal still isn't over for Abdi as San Jose Police are investigating a possible trespassing charge. However, they want to interview him first. -- Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- After Ferguson, we don't need another dialogue on race
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The government is getting into the fact-checking business. Be very, very afraid.
- The world is on fire and neither Democrats or Republicans have a clue
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- In defense of Obama's golfing
- How Democrats might goad the GOP into shutting down the government
- Wait a minute, Mr. Postman: Why postal banking won't work
- A trick for better lunch sandwiches
Subscribe to the Week