- The future has arrived May 7
Forget I, Robot — it's more like F, Robot. A new survey reveals that one in five Brits would have sex with a robot. More than 2,000 people were polled about their perceptions toward the machines, and while many were wary of them (a third feared bots pose a serious threat to our livelihood), 46 percent of those surveyed said they'd either sleep with robots or wouldn't judge those who did.
"While many of us worry about the role of technology and machines in modern society, robots are increasingly being developed for important roles that will help protect and improve our lives," said Martin Smith, a professor from Middlesex University in Britain who oversaw the study. Part of those advances include quasi-sentient feelings that could show emotional intelligence and even imitate sex, if needed.
Read the rest at The Daily Beast.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Rise of the machines
Subscribe to the Week