- Science! May 7
American veterans are suffering a crisis of PTSD, with something like 1 out of 5 returning soldiers from the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq so diagnosed, and reportedly 22 veterans per day committing suicide. A growing cohort of researchers have been studying the use of methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA, better known as Ecstasy) to treat the condition, with some extraordinarily positive initial results.
The Verge has produced a pretty good documentary on the scientific evidence on treating PTSD with MDMA, and the issues surrounding the FDA approval process. Watch it below. --Ryan Cooper
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Rise of the machines
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- It's time to kill school picture day
- 10 things you need to know today: October 19, 2014
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week