- Science! May 7
American veterans are suffering a crisis of PTSD, with something like 1 out of 5 returning soldiers from the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq so diagnosed, and reportedly 22 veterans per day committing suicide. A growing cohort of researchers have been studying the use of methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA, better known as Ecstasy) to treat the condition, with some extraordinarily positive initial results.
The Verge has produced a pretty good documentary on the scientific evidence on treating PTSD with MDMA, and the issues surrounding the FDA approval process. Watch it below. --Ryan Cooper
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Blame Obama and U.S. evangelicals for the persecution of Iraqi Christians
Subscribe to the Week