- Science! May 7
American veterans are suffering a crisis of PTSD, with something like 1 out of 5 returning soldiers from the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq so diagnosed, and reportedly 22 veterans per day committing suicide. A growing cohort of researchers have been studying the use of methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA, better known as Ecstasy) to treat the condition, with some extraordinarily positive initial results.
The Verge has produced a pretty good documentary on the scientific evidence on treating PTSD with MDMA, and the issues surrounding the FDA approval process. Watch it below. --Ryan Cooper
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- 10 things you need to know today: September 30, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- Are hedge funds doomed?
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week