- Science! May 7
American veterans are suffering a crisis of PTSD, with something like 1 out of 5 returning soldiers from the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq so diagnosed, and reportedly 22 veterans per day committing suicide. A growing cohort of researchers have been studying the use of methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA, better known as Ecstasy) to treat the condition, with some extraordinarily positive initial results.
The Verge has produced a pretty good documentary on the scientific evidence on treating PTSD with MDMA, and the issues surrounding the FDA approval process. Watch it below. --Ryan Cooper
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
Subscribe to the Week