- Science! May 7
American veterans are suffering a crisis of PTSD, with something like 1 out of 5 returning soldiers from the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq so diagnosed, and reportedly 22 veterans per day committing suicide. A growing cohort of researchers have been studying the use of methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA, better known as Ecstasy) to treat the condition, with some extraordinarily positive initial results.
The Verge has produced a pretty good documentary on the scientific evidence on treating PTSD with MDMA, and the issues surrounding the FDA approval process. Watch it below. --Ryan Cooper
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Four annoying sounds you need to stop making
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- 10 things you need to know today: August 23, 2014
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- What Keeping Up with the Kardashians can teach America about interracial marriage
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
Subscribe to the Week