- This is terrible May 8
Boko Haram attacked a Nigerian village used as a base in the search for 276 high-school girls the Islamist terror group abducted in Nigeria, witnesses said Wednesday. The assault, starting Monday afternoon, took several hours and left 310 people dead, CNN reports. Some of those killed were reportedly burned alive. Witnesses said gunmen wearing military uniforms arrived at a market, firing rocket-propelled grenades and throwing improvised explosive devices. --Harold Maass
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The militarization of America’s police
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- A gay Mormon's complicated journey
- How to flirt, according to science
Subscribe to the Week