- This is terrible May 8
Boko Haram attacked a Nigerian village used as a base in the search for 276 high-school girls the Islamist terror group abducted in Nigeria, witnesses said Wednesday. The assault, starting Monday afternoon, took several hours and left 310 people dead, CNN reports. Some of those killed were reportedly burned alive. Witnesses said gunmen wearing military uniforms arrived at a market, firing rocket-propelled grenades and throwing improvised explosive devices. --Harold Maass
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Mike Huckabee's head-scratching advice to Christian voters
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- The American middle class is no longer safe from poverty — and that might be a good thing
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week