- This is terrible May 8
Boko Haram attacked a Nigerian village used as a base in the search for 276 high-school girls the Islamist terror group abducted in Nigeria, witnesses said Wednesday. The assault, starting Monday afternoon, took several hours and left 310 people dead, CNN reports. Some of those killed were reportedly burned alive. Witnesses said gunmen wearing military uniforms arrived at a market, firing rocket-propelled grenades and throwing improvised explosive devices. --Harold Maass
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 of the scariest spiders in existence
- Why isn't 'Arkansas' pronounced like 'Kansas'?
- Internet piracy isn't killing Hollywood
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
- Is the Christian music industry liberalizing on gay marriage?
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
Subscribe to the Week