- last night on late night May 8
Anna Wintour and Sarah Jessica Parker stopped by Late Night with Seth Meyers last night to play the role of Fashion Police for the Met Gala. Parker, co-chair for the annual glitzy fundraiser at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City, said male attendees were asked to wear "full evening dress and decorations." In the language of normal people, that means "white tie."
Wintour said the dandied-up terminology led to a lot of confusion for the male attendees. "I had no idea how much panic this would cause men, but the best email was from Tom Ford, who dressed many of the handsome men there Monday night," she said. "Not only did hundreds of men ask him what white tie meant, they were confused by decorations. There were a couple of people who asked if they were Christmas Tree decorations."
Wintour and Parker agreed that Benedict Cumberbatch was the best dressed. However, not even Meyers escaped Wintour's Eye of Sauron for a certain fashion faux pas. -- Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 11 weeknight dinners you can make without a recipe
- If Scotland leaves the union, is Northern Ireland next?
- America is doomed! (And other thoughts on our gloomy historical moment.)
Subscribe to the Week