- last night on late night May 8
Anna Wintour and Sarah Jessica Parker stopped by Late Night with Seth Meyers last night to play the role of Fashion Police for the Met Gala. Parker, co-chair for the annual glitzy fundraiser at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City, said male attendees were asked to wear "full evening dress and decorations." In the language of normal people, that means "white tie."
Wintour said the dandied-up terminology led to a lot of confusion for the male attendees. "I had no idea how much panic this would cause men, but the best email was from Tom Ford, who dressed many of the handsome men there Monday night," she said. "Not only did hundreds of men ask him what white tie meant, they were confused by decorations. There were a couple of people who asked if they were Christmas Tree decorations."
Wintour and Parker agreed that Benedict Cumberbatch was the best dressed. However, not even Meyers escaped Wintour's Eye of Sauron for a certain fashion faux pas. -- Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The rise of the global middle class is our best hope to stop climate change
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- What I learned from totally unplugging and shutting up for three days
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- Immigration, charity, and conservatives' unholy assault on Glenn Beck
Subscribe to the Week