- Grand Old Bread May 8
The New York Times reports that the single most Republican corporation in America is Georgia-based Flowers Foods — the makers of Wonder Bread. "Flowers is the only food company with a PAC that consistently gives more than $100,000 per election cycle to Republicans and nothing to Democrats," the article said.
Since 1979, Flowers Foods' PAC has donated 99.5 percent of its contributions to Republicans, with not even one donation from the PAC to a Democratic candidate in the last 20 years. Moreover, the only currently serving Democrat in Congress who has even gotten an individual contribution from a Flowers employee is Rep. Sanford Bishop (D-GA), who received $500 from a Flowers executive during his first campaign way back in 1992.
By comparison, the Times says: "The PAC of Koch Industries, the well-known supporter of Republican candidates and conservative causes, has given nearly as much money to Democrats in the past 14 months as Flowers Foods has in more than 30 years."- - Eric Kleefeld
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- 7 language habits that reveal your age
- Deficit scolds are the most crazed ideologues in America
- 10 things you need to know today: July 24, 2014
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- A scientific fact-check of 2001: A Space Odyssey
- Why Peter Capaldi has a bigger challenge than any Doctor Who in history
Subscribe to the Week