- Oof May 8
Conservative groups vowed to go nuclear on the GOP establishment this year in an attempt to oust candidates they believe are not conservative enough. And now, we have a neat indication of how that battle is going:
That chart, flagged by The Washington Post's Aaron Blake, comes from the Center for Public Integrity. What it shows is conservative groups spending almost three times as much money attacking members of their own party as they're spending against Democrats.
To be fair, that ratio should come down after the primaries. But the fact that it's so large to begin with — and the fact that Democrats aren't seeing nearly the same monetary revolt from liberals — underscores the GOP's unique challenge in holding its coalition together.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- After Ferguson, we don't need another dialogue on race
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- The government is getting into the fact-checking business. Be very, very afraid.
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- In defense of Obama's golfing
Subscribe to the Week