- Oof May 8
Conservative groups vowed to go nuclear on the GOP establishment this year in an attempt to oust candidates they believe are not conservative enough. And now, we have a neat indication of how that battle is going:
That chart, flagged by The Washington Post's Aaron Blake, comes from the Center for Public Integrity. What it shows is conservative groups spending almost three times as much money attacking members of their own party as they're spending against Democrats.
To be fair, that ratio should come down after the primaries. But the fact that it's so large to begin with — and the fact that Democrats aren't seeing nearly the same monetary revolt from liberals — underscores the GOP's unique challenge in holding its coalition together.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 10 things you need to know today: September 19, 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
Subscribe to the Week