- Oof May 8
Conservative groups vowed to go nuclear on the GOP establishment this year in an attempt to oust candidates they believe are not conservative enough. And now, we have a neat indication of how that battle is going:
That chart, flagged by The Washington Post's Aaron Blake, comes from the Center for Public Integrity. What it shows is conservative groups spending almost three times as much money attacking members of their own party as they're spending against Democrats.
To be fair, that ratio should come down after the primaries. But the fact that it's so large to begin with — and the fact that Democrats aren't seeing nearly the same monetary revolt from liberals — underscores the GOP's unique challenge in holding its coalition together.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- How to stop misogynists from terrorizing the world of gamers
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
Subscribe to the Week