- Business May 8
If the rumors are true and Apple Inc. purchases Beats Electronics LLC for $3.2 billion, it will be the biggest acquisition in the company's history.
A person with knowledge of the talks told the Los Angeles Times that an agreement has not been reached yet, but the companies might be able to make an announcement next week. Beats Electronics, known for selling premium headphones, was founded in 2008 by rapper Dr. Dre and Interscope Geffen A&M Chairman Jimmy Iovine. In January, the company launched Beats Music, a streaming music service that costs $10 a month. If the deal goes through, Apple would earn revenue from the headphones and other products and also enter the subscription music industry; in 2013, it launched iTunes Radio, a free streaming service supported by advertisements.- - Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Pope Francis' American problem
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
Subscribe to the Week