- Business May 8
If the rumors are true and Apple Inc. purchases Beats Electronics LLC for $3.2 billion, it will be the biggest acquisition in the company's history.
A person with knowledge of the talks told the Los Angeles Times that an agreement has not been reached yet, but the companies might be able to make an announcement next week. Beats Electronics, known for selling premium headphones, was founded in 2008 by rapper Dr. Dre and Interscope Geffen A&M Chairman Jimmy Iovine. In January, the company launched Beats Music, a streaming music service that costs $10 a month. If the deal goes through, Apple would earn revenue from the headphones and other products and also enter the subscription music industry; in 2013, it launched iTunes Radio, a free streaming service supported by advertisements.- - Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 10 things you need to know today: September 19, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
- The Tea Party has its own immigration problem: Cuba
Subscribe to the Week