- Business May 8
If the rumors are true and Apple Inc. purchases Beats Electronics LLC for $3.2 billion, it will be the biggest acquisition in the company's history.
A person with knowledge of the talks told the Los Angeles Times that an agreement has not been reached yet, but the companies might be able to make an announcement next week. Beats Electronics, known for selling premium headphones, was founded in 2008 by rapper Dr. Dre and Interscope Geffen A&M Chairman Jimmy Iovine. In January, the company launched Beats Music, a streaming music service that costs $10 a month. If the deal goes through, Apple would earn revenue from the headphones and other products and also enter the subscription music industry; in 2013, it launched iTunes Radio, a free streaming service supported by advertisements.- - Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: October 31, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- Feast your eyes on this beautiful linguistic family tree
- The economics of Halloween: By the numbers
Subscribe to the Week