- Business May 8
If the rumors are true and Apple Inc. purchases Beats Electronics LLC for $3.2 billion, it will be the biggest acquisition in the company's history.
A person with knowledge of the talks told the Los Angeles Times that an agreement has not been reached yet, but the companies might be able to make an announcement next week. Beats Electronics, known for selling premium headphones, was founded in 2008 by rapper Dr. Dre and Interscope Geffen A&M Chairman Jimmy Iovine. In January, the company launched Beats Music, a streaming music service that costs $10 a month. If the deal goes through, Apple would earn revenue from the headphones and other products and also enter the subscription music industry; in 2013, it launched iTunes Radio, a free streaming service supported by advertisements.- - Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- 10 things you need to know today: July 31, 2014
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How to make salads for reluctant salad eaters
Subscribe to the Week