- Business May 8
If the rumors are true and Apple Inc. purchases Beats Electronics LLC for $3.2 billion, it will be the biggest acquisition in the company's history.
A person with knowledge of the talks told the Los Angeles Times that an agreement has not been reached yet, but the companies might be able to make an announcement next week. Beats Electronics, known for selling premium headphones, was founded in 2008 by rapper Dr. Dre and Interscope Geffen A&M Chairman Jimmy Iovine. In January, the company launched Beats Music, a streaming music service that costs $10 a month. If the deal goes through, Apple would earn revenue from the headphones and other products and also enter the subscription music industry; in 2013, it launched iTunes Radio, a free streaming service supported by advertisements.- - Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
Subscribe to the Week