- Irony Alert May 9
If you're an inmate at the Metropolitan Correctional Center in Manhattan, you might want to ask what's in the soup: Gilberto Valle, the so-called Cannibal Cop, is now earning 44 cents an hour preparing breakfast and lunch for his fellow prisoners.
The irony is not lost on anyone familiar with his case. Valle, a former NYPD officer, was convicted last year of conspiring to kidnap and eat women, after sharing his aspirations for becoming a cannibal at fetish websites and in chat rooms. He also composed a document entitled, "Abducting and Cooking Kimberly, a Blueprint."
His mother, Elizabeth Valle, told the New York Daily News that her son's culinary skills are earning him fans. "He has mastered making pizza," she said, and his food is so good that guards also enjoy eating it. Valle has not yet been sentenced, and he's asking for a new trial. Until then, he'll have to endure some ribbing from his fellow inmates; according to Elizabeth, they tell him, "'Don't stand too close to the oven,' and that kind of thing."- - Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- 8 ways you're probably overspending without even realizing it
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- 6 constitutional amendments that just missed the cut
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
Subscribe to the Week