- Irony Alert May 9
If you're an inmate at the Metropolitan Correctional Center in Manhattan, you might want to ask what's in the soup: Gilberto Valle, the so-called Cannibal Cop, is now earning 44 cents an hour preparing breakfast and lunch for his fellow prisoners.
The irony is not lost on anyone familiar with his case. Valle, a former NYPD officer, was convicted last year of conspiring to kidnap and eat women, after sharing his aspirations for becoming a cannibal at fetish websites and in chat rooms. He also composed a document entitled, "Abducting and Cooking Kimberly, a Blueprint."
His mother, Elizabeth Valle, told the New York Daily News that her son's culinary skills are earning him fans. "He has mastered making pizza," she said, and his food is so good that guards also enjoy eating it. Valle has not yet been sentenced, and he's asking for a new trial. Until then, he'll have to endure some ribbing from his fellow inmates; according to Elizabeth, they tell him, "'Don't stand too close to the oven,' and that kind of thing."- - Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
Subscribe to the Week