- Irony Alert May 9
If you're an inmate at the Metropolitan Correctional Center in Manhattan, you might want to ask what's in the soup: Gilberto Valle, the so-called Cannibal Cop, is now earning 44 cents an hour preparing breakfast and lunch for his fellow prisoners.
The irony is not lost on anyone familiar with his case. Valle, a former NYPD officer, was convicted last year of conspiring to kidnap and eat women, after sharing his aspirations for becoming a cannibal at fetish websites and in chat rooms. He also composed a document entitled, "Abducting and Cooking Kimberly, a Blueprint."
His mother, Elizabeth Valle, told the New York Daily News that her son's culinary skills are earning him fans. "He has mastered making pizza," she said, and his food is so good that guards also enjoy eating it. Valle has not yet been sentenced, and he's asking for a new trial. Until then, he'll have to endure some ribbing from his fellow inmates; according to Elizabeth, they tell him, "'Don't stand too close to the oven,' and that kind of thing."- - Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
Subscribe to the Week