- Irony Alert May 9
If you're an inmate at the Metropolitan Correctional Center in Manhattan, you might want to ask what's in the soup: Gilberto Valle, the so-called Cannibal Cop, is now earning 44 cents an hour preparing breakfast and lunch for his fellow prisoners.
The irony is not lost on anyone familiar with his case. Valle, a former NYPD officer, was convicted last year of conspiring to kidnap and eat women, after sharing his aspirations for becoming a cannibal at fetish websites and in chat rooms. He also composed a document entitled, "Abducting and Cooking Kimberly, a Blueprint."
His mother, Elizabeth Valle, told the New York Daily News that her son's culinary skills are earning him fans. "He has mastered making pizza," she said, and his food is so good that guards also enjoy eating it. Valle has not yet been sentenced, and he's asking for a new trial. Until then, he'll have to endure some ribbing from his fellow inmates; according to Elizabeth, they tell him, "'Don't stand too close to the oven,' and that kind of thing."- - Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- California's epic drought
Subscribe to the Week