- Snackers gonna snack May 9
This is admittedly an implausible topic for 10 minutes of good, solid comic relief, but on Thursday night's Daily Show, Jon Stewart spent the whole first segment recapping the New York Senate's debate over making yogurt the official state snack. And he made a convincing case that it was one of the best moments in any state legislature, ever.
Making the argument for yogurt is State Sen. Michael Ranzenhofer (R), whom Stewart dubs "the Ken Jennings of yogurt" for his deep knowledge and fluid advocacy of the "pro-business, probiotic" topic. Most of the humor derives from the fact that there's any dissent against the symbolic measure, but a handful of Democrats raise some objections. It's kind of like watching a high school debate, but it's a good story. And with some help from "Senior State Snack Correspondent" Jessica Williams (who comes on for one pretty good joke), Stewart managed to turn a local news story into something better — like uncovering the raspberries in your fruit-at-the-bottom yogurt. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- 10 things you need to know today: July 31, 2014
- Don't vote for Andrew Cuomo
Subscribe to the Week