- Snackers gonna snack May 9
This is admittedly an implausible topic for 10 minutes of good, solid comic relief, but on Thursday night's Daily Show, Jon Stewart spent the whole first segment recapping the New York Senate's debate over making yogurt the official state snack. And he made a convincing case that it was one of the best moments in any state legislature, ever.
Making the argument for yogurt is State Sen. Michael Ranzenhofer (R), whom Stewart dubs "the Ken Jennings of yogurt" for his deep knowledge and fluid advocacy of the "pro-business, probiotic" topic. Most of the humor derives from the fact that there's any dissent against the symbolic measure, but a handful of Democrats raise some objections. It's kind of like watching a high school debate, but it's a good story. And with some help from "Senior State Snack Correspondent" Jessica Williams (who comes on for one pretty good joke), Stewart managed to turn a local news story into something better — like uncovering the raspberries in your fruit-at-the-bottom yogurt. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- China's leader is telling the People's Liberation Army to prepare for war
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How to save money: 12 great personal finance tips
- The best books we read in 2014
- The religious right isn't retreating — it's reforming
- How I lost all my money
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week