- Fish in Water May 9
Perpetually tanned, suspiciously unwrinkled former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi began his yearlong mandated community service on Friday. Berlusconi, 77, is serving his sentence for massive tax fraud, handed down by a court last year. He chose community service over house arrest so he could campaign for his Forza Italia party before upcoming European Parliament elections. He avoided jail time because of his age. His community service is at an old people's home in the town of Cesano Boscone.
Some people might celebrate having their four-year jail sentence reduced to four hours a week of community service. Berlusconi has called it "ridiculous." There's some disagreement about what he'll do at the care facility, some of whose residents have Alzheimer's disease. The one-time cruise ship lounge singer says he'll "entertain" his elderly charges; the center's director says Berlusconi will be treated like other assistant, with no "fun or relaxing activities."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- Yes, the Obama administration's green loans are unprofitable. They should be.
- 5 quick things you can do today to boost your creativity
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Why we gossip, according to science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week